Gangadhar Meher University (GMU), Sambalpur was established on 30th May 2015. The newly formed University replaced the erstwhile Gangadhar Meher College (Autonomous). Initially known as Sambalpur College, it was later renamed in 1949 as Gangadhar Meher College after Gangadhar Meher, a renowned Odia poet. In 1944, degree programs in Arts and Commerce were introduced, while B.Sc. programs were added in the year 1957. The College reached a milestone in 1964 when Post-graduate departments were opened. Another landmark was achieved when M.Phil. programs in various disciplines were offered by the institution from 1983 onwards. Pre-Doctoral coursework was also introduced in 2012 in four subjects to meet the demand for higher education and research. The University offers teaching and research facilities for Undergraduate, Post Graduate and Research programs. This University currently enrolls 5500 students in various prgrams.